Sacramento Finance

Jan 31 2018


Required immunizations for new students

Massachusetts law requires that college students have certain immunizations before coming to school, and submit proof of completion. Here’s what you need.

New Student Immunization Program

UMass Amherst’s New Student Immunization Program (NSIP) reviews students’ immunization records, contacts those with incomplete information, and helps students get missing immunizations.

Submitting immunization records

Submit your immunization information before your first semester on campus.

The deadline is the end of the add/drop period. If you miss the deadline, a hold will be placed on your student record and you’ll be unable to register for classes.

What to do:

  • Log on to the UHS patient portal .
  • Follow the instructions on the welcome page to create an account.
  • After logging in, you’ll be directed to the home page.
  • Follow the instructions to submit your immunization information, complete the required TB questionnaire and review important information about meningitis vaccination.

The NSIP will notify you if your information is incomplete or you’re missing any required immunizations.

If your healthcare provider requires a form to document your immunizations, download and print the Required Immunizations 2017 – 2018 form, under the ‘Forms’ tab on the patient portal.

If you have other questions, contact the NSIP:

New Student Immunization Program
University Health Services
150 Infirmary Way, UMass Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003

Routine and preventive immunizations (not required)

Some vaccinations are required to attend college; others are recommended to help protect your health. Commonly recommended immunizations include:

  • Flu
  • Hepatitis A
  • Human papillomavirus (HPV)
  • Pneumonia
  • Typhoid
  • Shingles

Find out what other immunizations you might need with this handy checklist .

Make an appointment by calling (413) 577-5101. You may also be able to be vaccinated during an appointment you’ve already scheduled.

Travel vaccinations (not required)

If you’re planning international travel, you may need additional recommended vaccinations. UHS’ travel medicine clinic provides advice and vaccinations. Call (413 577-5101 atleast four weeks before your trip. so you can complete necessary immunizations for your destination.

Written by admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *